PowerPoint 2003 Update Problems
Over the last few days Microsoft has released an update for PowerPoint 2003. Unfortunately, this update has resulted in some issues when using templates in PowerPoint 2003, particularly if these templates were created in a later version of the software.
If you have installed the update on your PowerPoint 2003 software, you may notice the following problems:
Presentations that contain layouts with background images may cause an error when opened in PowerPoint 2003. A dialog will notify you that some contents (text, images or objects) have been corrupted. The content lost will be what is specified in the layout, not the actual slide content itself. Items that were removed will display a blank box or a box containing “cleansed”.
If you are using PowerPoint 2003 or have received the above error, then our advice would be to uninstall the update from your machine.
You can do this by taking the following steps:
1. Open Windows Control Panel
2. Click Add or Remove programs
3. Tick Show Updates at the top of the window
4. Scroll down to find ‘Security Update for PowerPoint (KB2464588)’
5. Click Remove to uninstall the update
6. Re-open PowerPoint 2003, it should now function correctly.
You’ll also want to disable automatic updates so that PowerPoint doesn’t just download the update again – for details of how to do this, read this article.
Update: Microsoft have now produced a hotfix. For more information and to install the Hotfix, visit this page of the Microsoft Office blog.
We hope that this has helped resolve the issue. If you are still encountering problems, or have any questions, please contact us.
- Corporate Presentation Tips
- Visual Aids Gone Wrong
- Seven Aspects of Highly Effective Presentations
- Presentation Ideas
- Company Presentation, Brand, and Compliance
- Improving a Sales Presentation
- Presentation Tips that Suck
- Presentation Agency Selection
- Presentation Optimisation
- The Right Visuals
- Advanced PowerPoint Training